Monday, April 29, 2013

A time to start a verticle garden...

OK, this time I'm really going to try it.  Growing plants, that is.  I'm a total wiz with dried herbs which may be why I tend to have such horrid luck with trying to grow them. (They must sense what their eventual fate will be!). This time, I'm going to focus on simple herbs that I use in the kitchen.

The soil in our yard (town!) is pretty horrid for growing things so I thought that I'd try to use pots. That got me to thinking about boxes on the porch railing or even a vertical garden in the kitchen.

Well, I've started both.  Depending on how well this goes, I may expand the pots on the deck.  If the vertical herb garden in the kitchen really takes off, I have some more wall space to do another one or two.

Here are a couple pics of them.  They were just planted yesterday and I swear that they're already bigger!






If they do really well, I may have to invest in a raised garden for the desk and try vegetables.  The only reason that I didn't start with easy vegetables is that we have tons of squirrels, raccoons, and skunks. I'd have to devise some sort of chicken wire top for the raised garden.  That's a bit more work than I wanted to start out with.

Baby steps.  Baby steps.

Ciao a tutti!

No comments:

Post a Comment